Tuesday, February 5, 2008

February 1: Din Tai Fung Restaurant


Today I had lunch with some faculty from the Computer and Electrical Engineering departments. We went to the Din Tai Fung restaurant, which is very famous for its dumplings. And the dumplings were very good; I think now that I have had these ones, other dumplings won't taste the same. The restaurant specializes in Xiao Long Bao which are steamed dumplings that have meat and broth inside. To eat them you put them on a spoon and then poke a hole with chopsticks so that the hot broth drains into the spoon. Then you eat the dumpling and drink the buttery broth. Deliciouso!

When I was finishing up my lunch my hosts asked if I wanted any Niu Rou Mian since this restaurant apparently makes some of the best beef noodle soup in Taipei. Of course I had to try it. The only problem was, instead of a bowl of soup as a side, I was given a huge bowl of the stuff! I was able to eat it all, but just barely. And if you are wondering, the restaurant deserves its reputation.

No comments: